Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Thing 4 - RSS and Newsreaders

I have always seen those little symbols on websites, but never paid much attention to them. RSS is pretty cool. It's nice to have all of these different websites in one place. I have always used bookmarks and favorites to one click my favorite websites. In some respects it's not that much different. I only have to open one screen to get to either my bookmarks or to the RSS aggregator. And many different websites are just a click away. The differences: bookmarks allow you to mark any website not just those with RSS feeds (for instance, my email, my work schedule for my other job, etc.) but the RSS aggregator tells you when a website has been updated. For different blogs that you always check, I think the aggregator would be great, but for things like news websites that are constantly updated bookmarks work just as well. I set up my Bloglines aggregator a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't gone to it since. I think I'm just in the habit of using bookmarks. A new website, username, and password is just too much to remember. Maybe I'll bookmark Bloglines! That will definitely help my apathy towards using it!

No comments:

Post a Comment