Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Thing 8 - Communication - Web 2.0 Style

There really wasn't much for me to do with this Thing because I already know everything about instant messaging and text messaging. I have had AIM and Yahoo! Messenger for years. And texting is an everyday occurrence. But I've never been in a web conference before. I do know generally what it is and how it works, but I just have never been in the position to need to use it. It's a great idea though. In my other part-time job, the managers always get together for conference calls. I think they could benefit from web conferencing. And I could see how the library managers from different branches could meet together in a web conference. Also I'm sure Administration could definitely use it as well. They deal with different boards and the public, and I'm sure at times, a web conference could be useful.

I did try the challenge though and signed up for Twitter and Meebo. Meebo is really cool. I love having all of my IM accounts in one place. Twitter is neat too, but none of my friends have it so I need to get them to join so I have someone to Tweet to. But I do like it. It is kind of similar to updating your status on Facebook but a little more versatile.

I always have felt that communication is the key to any relationship (coworker/coworker, bf/gf, parent/child, patron/staff, branch/branch, county/county, etc, etc, etc). So if there is something out there that increases the amount of communication among people, I'm all for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment