Friday, March 13, 2009

Thing 11 - Social Media

I went to all of the social media sites listed and really liked Digg. So I got an article from the BBC and added it. Someone had already added it, so I just "digged" it. I really like these social media sites because every news site is biased in some way. Whether it's liberal, conservative, entetainment, or just going for the sensational, those who run the network/newspaper/website choose what news is going to be presented. So it's nice to have articles from a wide variety of news sites all in one place. It makes for a much more diverse view of the world. And plus, there would be no way I could keep up with all the news stories from all the different sites out there. Word of mouth (or in this case digging) is much better at spreading news that people are interested in than going to all those different sites. I'm not sure exactly how these social media sites can be used in the library though. Maybe they can be used for research purposes or just for general knowledge. I think maybe the best way to use it would be to keep up with what patrons are interested in so we can tailor our programs and collection to their needs and interests. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment