Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Thing 13 - Library Thing

I LOVE LibraryThing!!! It's the best thing ever! I could spend hours and hours on it (and I probably will). I've already found 6 books through recommendations that I'm going to go check out during my lunch break. I've been wanting to create a list of books I've read/want to read but haven't really had the time to. So needless to say, I have about a million little post-it notes or pieces of paper with random books I've run across but haven't had the time to read. I had attempted to keep track of my favorite books on my Facebook page, but you have to type in the whole title and author and for some reason I have an awful time trying to remember authors' names (pretty bad especially since I work in a library :P) . LibraryThing makes it so easy to add books. Now I can list all the books I've read and just tag all the want-to-reads in one section! The LibraryThing Local shows venues and events going on in whatever location you want to look up. I looked up Gainesville, it showed a program being offered HQ. I wonder if there is a way to post each of the branches as well. Patrons could easily use it. ACLD could add a profile on which staff could make recommendations or tag books. LibraryThing has lots of possibilities; I'm going to go explore it more!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie. I'm glad you and other 23 Things bloggers found this Thing helpful. I don't think I'll use it for my own books, but your use of it to find things to read may come in handy if I can remember to use LibraryThing the next time I'm out of books (if that ever happens). I'm also glad I looked at your posting and found more things happening in G'ville. When I looked there wasn't much going on. Guess it pays to keep an eye on these things.
    A.

    ReplyDelete